Electoral lists

What requirements need to be met in order to vote in European elections?

No one can vote unless they are registered on electoral lists.

While Luxembourg nationals who are domiciled in Luxembourg are automatically registered on electoral lists, nationals of another EU member state who wish to take part in the European elections are entitled to request to be registered on the electoral lists of the European elections, provided that they:

  • are at least 18 years of age on the day of elections;
  • are domiciled in the Grand Duchy and were residing there at the time of their request to be registered on the electoral lists;
  • enjoy civil rights and not have been deprived of the right to vote either in Luxembourg or in their home EU Member State.

They can also elect European MPs in their home country. In that case, they need to address the relevant authorities in their home country, in particular their consulate.

As no one can vote twice in the European elections, nationals from other EU member states who got registered on the electoral lists for the election of Luxembourg representatives to the European Parliament cannot take part in the European elections of their home country as well.

Who is excluded from the vote?

The following people may not be voters or stand as candidates:

  • people who have been convicted of criminal offences;
  • people who are deprived of the right to vote as a result of correctional sanctions;
  • adults under guardianship.
Under which name am I registered on electoral lists?

Married or widowed voters are registered under their surname and first names - maiden name for women - followed by, if they wish, the addition of spouse or widow, followed by the surname and first names of the spouse.

How to file a claim in the context of electoral lists?

Electoral lists are temporarily established by the College of Aldermen 87 days prior to polling day. The lists are submitted for public inspection, either to the secretariat of the municipality or to the place where meetings of the municipal council are held from the 86th to the 79th day prior to polling day. Any citizen may file any complaint with the College of Aldermen arising from the electoral lists up to the 79th day at the latest before polling day.

A notice invites citizens to produce, up to the 79th day at the latest before polling day, against a receipt, the titles of those who have the right to appear on the lists in force but are not registered on them. The notice also mentions that to be admissible before the Administrative Court, a complaint regarding the registration of a voter must first be submitted for consideration to the College of Aldermen along with all the supporting documents.

Do I need to de-register from the electoral lists of my municipality in the event of relocation?

No. In the case of a change of domicile, the transfer of the right to vote in the new municipality is mandatory. The mayor of the former municipality notifies the change of domicile to the new municipality. The mayor of the municipality where the elector establishes their new residence adds the elector to that municipality's electoral list. The mayor of the municipality where the elector had their former residence strikes the elector off that municipality's electoral list.

Last update